(Greek feta and roasted red pepper spread)
A simple spread with loads of flavor, htipiti — also known as tirokafteri or kopanisti — is the perfect addition to a Mediterranean meze spread. The salty bite of feta cheese marries perfectly with the smoky sweetness of the roasted peppers and a touch of heat from hot pepper flakes.
Use htipiti as a dip for pita wedges. Spread it on bread for sandwiches. Or smear it on lavash for wraps.
Makes about 2 cups
- Feta cheese, crumbled -- 8 ounces
- Roasted red pepper, chopped -- 1
- Scallion, chopped -- 1
- Red pepper flakes -- big pinch
- Lemon juice -- 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Olive oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Place all the ingredients except the olive oil into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until it forms a smooth, dippable spread.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and transfer the htipiti to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and serve with wedges of pita or slices of crusty bread.
- Add a couple minced cloves of garlic or some chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Stir in some chopped fresh oregano, thyme or dill.