South Carolina Barbecue Sauce
(American Southern mustard-based grilling sauce)
Barbecue sauce in central South Carolina is unique. Unlike the tomatoey bbq sauces in other parts of the country, South Carolina-style has no tomatoes or ketchup at all. Instead, it's a sharp, vinegary, mustardy concoction that's perfect for cutting through the rich pulled pork it is traditionally served with.
As hinted at by the mustard, this sauce has its origin in German immigrants to the area.
Makes about 2 cups
- Yellow mustard -- 3/4 cup
- Vinegar -- 3/4 cup
- Sugar -- 1/2 cup
- Butter -- 2 tablespoons
- Hot pepper sauce -- a few dashes
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry and mellow.
- Stir the barbecue sauce into pulled roast pork to season to your taste. Pass extra at the table.
South Carolina BBQ Sauce Variations
- Other things to stir in for flavor: onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce.