(Kenyan black-eyed peas and tomatoes in peanut sauce)
4 to 6 servings
- Oil -- 2 tablespoons
- Onion, minced -- 1
- Tomatoes, seeded and diced -- 2 cups
- Black-eyed peas, cooked -- 2 cups
- Natural peanut butter -- 1/4 cup
- Water -- 1/4 cup
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium flame. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the tomatoes and simmer about 5 minutes to cook them down.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and lightly mash the peas with the back of a spoon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water as needed to get a stew-like consistency.
- Adjust seasoning and serve over rice, pasta or ugali.
- You can use roughly ground peanuts instead of peanut butter if you like.
- Chopped collard greens, kale or chunks of pumpkin are often stirred into the simmering beans to stretch the dish and add flavor and nutrition.