(Italian white beans with tomato and sage)
This comforting dish originates in the Tuscan town of Siena. Fagioli all'uccelletto is traditionally served with pork liver, but these creamy, tomatoey beans go with a variety of boiled or braised meat dishes.
4 to 6 servings
- Olive oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Garlic, minced -- 2 to 3 cloves
- Sage, fresh or dried, minced or crumbled -- 1 tablespoon or 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced -- 2
- Cannellini or other white beans, cooked and rinsed -- 2 cups
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sage and saute just until the garlic begins to brown, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked beans, salt and pepper. Simmer another 10 to 15 minutes over low heat. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Fagioli all'Uccelletto Variations
- If you don't have fresh tomatoes, substitute 1 cup of canned tomatoes.
- Add some sliced mild Italian sausages when you stir in the beans. Simmer until they are cooked through for an Italian version of pork and beans.