(Venezuelan spicy avocado salsa)
Guasacaca is a popular condiment in Venezuela made from mashed and seasoned avocados. It is very similar to Mexican guacamole. Serve guasacaca as an accompaniment to grilled meats, poultry, salads, empanadas or arepas.
Makes about 2 cups
- Avocados, peeled and seeded -- 3
- Tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped -- 1
- Onion, finely chopped -- 1/2
- Hot chile peppers, finely chopped -- 2 to 6
- Garlic, minced -- 2 or 3 cloves
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Olive oil -- 1/2 cup
- Vinegar -- 1/4 cup
- Chop the avocados roughly and place them in a large bowl. Mash them well with the back of a spoon or with a potato masher, leaving them slightly chunky.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
- Mix in some chopped parsley or cilantro if you like.
- The tomato is sometimes eliminated from the recipe.