(Brazilian cachaça-lime cocktail)
- Lime, halved, each half cut into 4 wedges -- 1
- Sugar -- 1 or 2 tablespoons
- Crushed ice
- Cachaça -- 2 to 3 ounces
- Put 4 to 6 lime wedges into an old-fashioned glass and sprinkle with the sugar. Use a muddler or wooden spoon to crush together the limes and sugar to release the lime's juice.
- Pack the glass with crushed ice and pour in the cachaça. Stir well, garnish with a couple more lime wedges and serve.
- Add more or less sugar according to your taste.
- Instead of stirring the drink at the end, cover the glass with the bottom of a cocktail shaker and shake well for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Caipiroska or Caipiroshka: Use vodka instead of cachaça.
- Caipifruta: Substitute crushed fresh fruit for the lime juice. Try strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, mango, tangerines. Use about 3 tablespoons. Cut back on the sugar.
- Use brown sugar instead of white sugar.