(Indian yogurt drink)
Lassi is a cooling yogurt beverage originally from the northern part of India. Traditionally lassi is unsweetened and has a pinch of salt and some spices mixed in. More recently, sweetened fruit lassis have become very popular drinks, both in India and around the world.
2 to 3 servings
- Yogurt -- 1 1/2 cups
- Cream (optional) -- 3 tablespoons
- Rosewater (optional) -- 1 tablespoon
- Fruit of your choice, chopped -- 1/2 to 1 cup
- Sugar -- 5-6 tablespoons
- Ice cubes -- 9 to 10
- Place all ingredients except the ice cubes in a blender and blend until smooth.
- One by one, add the ice cubes and blend further until they are broken down into a slush.
- Serve in a tall, cold glass on a hot, hot day.
- Plain Lassi: Eliminate the sugar, fruit and rosewater. Substitute a pinch of salt and some toasted cumin seeds.
- Bhang Lassi: A traditional lassi with cannabis extract and ground almonds. Used in the religious festival of Holi.
- Good fruit choices are mangoes, papayas, strawberries and melons. Or try using lemon or lime juice. You can use anything you like really.
- Add a pinch of ground cardamom, a few strands of saffron or some chopped mint if you like.