(Ecuadoran oatmeal beverage)
Cuáker is a popular and healthy children's drink in Ecuador. Its name is the Spanish version of the name of the company most famous for selling oats and oatmeal. Beverages based on oats are popular throughout Central and South America.
Makes 4 to 5 portions
- Pineapple, peeled and sliced into rounds -- 1
- Old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant) -- 1 cup
- Sugar -- 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon sticks (optional) -- 2
- Water -- 5 cups
- Add all the ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pineapple and cinnamon sticks and pour the remaining liquid through a strainer, pressing down on the solids to extract all the liquid. Discard the solids and serve hot or cold.
- Instead of passing the cuáker through a strainer, you can puree it in a blender if you prefer.
- Leave the pineapple unpeeled to give your cuáker even more flavor.
- Add a little pineapple juice after simmering if you would like your cuáker a little thinner.