Rice and Peas
(Jamaican rice with beans and coconut milk)
Image © iStockphoto
Rice and peas, as kidney beans are called in Jamaica, follows the Caribbean and Central American tradition of bean and rice dishes. Jamaicans give their version a rich, tropical flavor with the addition of coconut milk.
4 to 6 servings
- Oil -- 2 tablespoons
- Scallions, minced -- 3
- Rice -- 2 cups
- Kidney beans, cooked and rinsed -- 2 cups
- Stock or water -- 1 1/2 cups
- Coconut milk -- 2 cups
- Thyme -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Heat the oil over a medium flame in a large saucepan. Add the scallions and saute for about 1 minute. Stir in the rice until heated through and coated with oil, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, stock or water, coconut milk, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 5 to 10 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Rice and Peas Variations
- Saute a minced Scotch bonnet pepper with the scallions if you like a little heat.