Tuna Noodle Casserole
(American baked tuna and pasta dish)
The version of tuna noodle casserole given here eliminates the canned soup and substitutes a homemade sauce. However, the tuna still requires a can opener.
4 to 6 servings
- Fettuccini, broken up, or egg noodles -- 12 ounces
- Butter or oil -- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped -- 2 cups
- Mushrooms, sliced -- 2 cups
- Butter or oil -- 3 tablespoons
- Flour -- 1/4 cup
- Chicken broth -- 1 1/2 cups
- Milk -- 1 cup
- Parsley, minced -- 1 tablespoon
- Thyme -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper -- to season
- Tuna, drained and flaked -- 12 ounces
- Peas -- 1 cup
- Lemon juice -- 1 tablespoon
- Breadcrumbs -- 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse, drain again and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter or oil in a large saucepan over medium flame. Add the onions and sauté until they turn translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until cooked through and wilted, another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a bowl and wipe the saucepan clean.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter or oil to the sauté pan and return it to medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth, milk, parsley and thyme and simmer until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and stir in the tuna, peas and lemon juice. Turn the mixture into a greased casserole dish and sprinkle evenly with the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake until the top is lightly browned and the casserole is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately with a side salad.
Tuna Noodle Casserole Variations
- Other Possible Additions: Saute some chopped celery or bell peppers along with the onions if you like. Stir in 3/4 cup shredded cheese, some chopped spinach or blanched green beans.
- Use all chicken stock or all milk if you prefer. Just make sure to have 2 1/2 cups of liquid in total.
- Toppings: Crumbled potato chips or canned fried onions are other favorite toppings for the casserole instead of the breadcrumbs.