(Indian mint chutney)
Serve this refreshing mint chutney as a condiment for of curries, rice dishes, breads, scrambled eggs, pakora and other appetizers. This chutney is sometimes spelled pudina chatni.
Makes about 1 cup
- Fresh mint, stems removed and roughly chopped -- 3 bunches
- Chile peppers, seeded and chopped -- 1 to 3
- Scallions, chopped -- 3
- Gingerroot, minced -- 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice -- 2 or 3 tablespoons
- Water -- 2 or 3 tablespoons
- Sugar -- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Salt -- to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until fairly smooth but still with a little texture. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Mint Chutney Variations
- The ingredients can alternatively be ground with a mortar and pestle until smooth.
- Use 1/2 mint and 1/2 cilantro if you like.