(Kenyan corn and beans)
4 to 5 servings
- Corn, cut fresh off the cob or frozen -- 3 to 4 ears, or 2 cups
- Cooked beans, any type -- 2 cups
- Water -- to cover
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Add the corn and beans to a large pot with enough water just to cover. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In Kenya, dried corn and beans are used. The beans and corn are put in a pot with water and simmered for several hours until softened. Use any kind of beans: pinto beans, kidney beans, cowpeas (black-eyed peas), green peas, groundnuts, pigeon peas.
- To give the dish more flavor and texture, add some chopped greens, sauteed onions, cubed potatoes or cassava, stew meat or a little curry powder.
- Muthokoi: Substitute hominy for the corn.
- Mukimo: Cook the beans and corn with some chopped potatoes and chopped greens. Mash together well and season with salt and pepper.