(Jamaican hibiscus flower beverage)
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- Dried hibiscus flowers (sorrel) -- 2 cups
- Gingerroot, minced -- 1/4 cup
- Boiling water -- 8 cups
- Sugar -- 1 to 1 1/4 cups
- Place hibiscus flowers and ginger in a large bowl and pour in the boiling water. Cover and let steep for several hours at room temperature.
- Strain into a large pitcher and stir in sugar to taste. Serve well chilled.
Sorrel Punch Variations
- Add a few allspice berries or a stick of cinnamon the the steeping hibiscus and ginger if you like.
- Use only 4 cups boiling water to steep. Add 4 cups of seltzer water after straining and chilling for a bubbly beverage.
- Mix with a shot of rum and a garnish of lime for a nice cocktail.