(South African homemade farmer's sausage)
Image by AndyRob
8 to 10 servings
- Beef round or brisket, cut into 1-inch cubes -- 3 pounds
- Pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes -- 3 pounds
- Coriander seeds -- 1/4 cup
- Salt -- 2 tablespoons
- Pepper -- 2 teaspoons
- Cloves -- 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Thick-cut bacon or pork fat, finely chopped -- 1 pound
- Vinegar or red wine -- 3/4 cup
- Sausage casings -- about 1/3 pound
- Heat a dry skillet over medium flame. Add the coriander seeds and toast, stirring continuously, until they are lightly browned and releasing their aroma, 2 to 3 minutes. Grind in a spice or coffee grinder until a fine powder. Sift out any large, hard pieces..
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, pork, ground coriander, salt, pepper, cloves and nutmeg. Chill for at least two hours.
- Put the meat mixture through a medium cutter on a meat grinder. Mix in the bacon or pork fat and vinegar or red wine. Stuff into soaked and rinsed sausage casings.
- Grill boerewors over hot coals until cooked through. Serve with mealie pap.
- Some boerewors recipes use lamb instead of beef.
- Stir in 1/4 cup minced garlic for garlic boerewors.