(Mexican tomatillo salsa)
Makes about 2 cups
- Tomatillos, husk and stem end removed -- 1 pound
- Cilantro, chopped -- 1/3 bunch
- Onion, chopped -- 1/2
- Garlic (optional), crushed -- 1 or 2 cloves
- Salt -- to taste
- Water -- as needed
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the tomatillos and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Add tomatillos and all the remaining ingredients except for water to a blender or food processor. Process until fairly smooth but still slightly chunky. Adjust seasoning and thin to desired consistency with water. Salsa verde improves in flavor if allowed to rest for 1 or 2 hours before serving.
Salsa Verde Variations
- Roast the tomatillos in a 350ºF oven for 15 minutes if you like. Or use 2 cups of canned tomatillos and eliminate the cooking step.
- Add 1 to 3 chopped serrano or jalapeño peppers for some heat.
- Substitute chicken broth for the water when thinning out the salsa.