(American apple cake)
4 to 6 servings
- Butter, softened -- 1/2 cup
- Sugar -- 1 cup
- Egg, lightly beaten -- 1
- Flour -- 1 cup
- Baking soda -- 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon -- 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Apples, peeled, cored and chopped -- 2
- Walnuts (optional), lightly chopped -- 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add the butter and sugar to an electric mixer and cream well until fluffy. Add the egg and beat to incorporate.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Then, with the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until just incorporated. Do not over beat. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the apples and nuts by hand.
- Pour the batter into a buttered 9-inch cake pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove to a rack and cool before cutting. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.
Apple Cake Variations
- Add a little lemon zest along with the apples and walnuts if you like.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over the top of the cake for more of a glazed surface.
- Use pears instead of apples.