(American peaches baked with pastry)
6 to 8 servings
- Peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced -- 1 1/2 pounds
- Sugar -- 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice (optional) -- 1 or 2 tablespoons
- Cinnamon -- 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Flour -- 1 cup
- Sugar -- 3/4 cup
- Baking powder -- 2 teaspoons
- Salt -- pinch
- Milk -- 1 cup
- Unsalted butter, melted -- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, toss the peaches together with the sugar, lemon juice and spices. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Gently stir in the milk. Do not overmix; some lumps should remain.
- Pour the melted butter in the bottom of a baking dish. Pour the batter over the butter. Do not stir. Drop the fruit evenly over the batter. Do not stir.
- Set the baking dish in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top begins to brown. Serve hot or at room temperature with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Other Fruit Cobblers: Substitute most any fruit you like that is in season. Toss 1 or 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into the fruit if it is particularly juicy (berries, plums, rhubarb).
- Adjust the amount of sugar to your taste.
- Camping Cobbler: Cobbler is the perfect finish to a campfire meal. Bake your cobbler in a cast-iron Dutch oven over glowing embers. Rotate the oven from time to time to ensure even cooking.