(Japanese chicken and egg rice bowl)
- Dashi or chicken stock -- 1 cup
- Soy sauce -- 1/4 cup
- Mirin sweet rice wine -- 3 tablespoons
- Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into strips -- 1/2 pound
- Scallions, chopped -- 1 bunch
- Eggs, lightly beaten -- 4
- Hot cooked rice -- 4 to 6 cups
- Nori seaweed, toasted and cut into strips (optional) -- 1 sheet
- Add the dashi stock, soy sauce and mirin to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the scallions and simmer for another minute or so.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the top of the simmering chicken without stirring it in. Cover, remove from heat and let the pot set for 2 or 3 minutes to steam cook the eggs through.
- Put a scoop of hot cooked rice into each of four deep bowls (don). Ladle some of the chicken, eggs and sauce over the rice in each bowl. Sprinkle with the optional nori or more chopped scallions, and serve hot.
Oyako Don Variations
- Tanindon (Beef and egg bowl): Substitute 1/2 cup beef steak cut into thin strips against the grain for the chicken.
- Vegetables: Substitute spinach, green peas or snow peas for some or all of the scallions.
- If you don't have mirin on hand, substitute with a tablespoon of sugar.