Orecchiette con Broccoli
(Italian ear-shaped pasta with broccoli)
This simple recipe comes together quickly and is a great first course for any Italian meal or can serve as a light dinner on its own. Orecchiette, an ear-shaped pasta, is perfect for this dish, but you can substitute other shaped pasta like penne, fusilli or farfalle.
4 to 6 servings
- Broccoli, cut into florets; stem peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds -- 1 bunch
- Orecchiette pasta -- 1 pound
- Olive oil -- 1/4 cup
- Anchovies, rinsed and minced -- 6
- Pepper flakes -- 1-2 teaspoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Water -- 1/4 cup
- Grated pecorino romano cheese -- 1/2 cup
- Grated Parmigiano cheese -- 1/4 cup
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and simmer until just cooked through. Remove to a colander with a slotted spoon, rinse under cold water to stop cooking and set aside.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook till al dente according to package directions. Drain, toss with a little oil and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the anchovies and pepper flakes and saute briefly, 1 or 2 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, salt, pepper and water and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Finally, add the pasta to the simmering broccoli and and toss to heat through.
- Remove from heat, toss with the grated cheese and serve immediately.
Orecchiette con Broccoli Variations
- Substitute broccoli rabe for the broccoli to make a more authentic version of this dish.
- Use all Parmesan or all Romano cheese if you like.
- Saute 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic with the anchovies.