(Indian potato and cauliflower curry)
Aloo gobi is a popular North Indian vegetarian dish often accompanied by naan, roti or paratha to make a full vegetarian meal. Some people serve it in soft buns as a satisfying sandwich.
This dish is what the Indians call a "dry curry," so very little water is used in making aloo gobi. It is best made in a non-stick pot.
4 to 6 servings
- Oil -- 1/4 cup
- Cuminseed -- 1 teaspoon
- Green chilies, chopped -- 2 to 4
- Ginger, grated or minced -- 2 tablespoons
- Bay or curry leaves -- 3
- Ground coriander -- 2 tablespoons
- Red pepper powder or paprika -- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon
- Boiling potatoes, cut into chunks -- 1 pound
- Cauliflower, cut into florets -- 1 head
- Water -- 1/4 cup
- Salt -- 1 teaspoon
- Cilantro -- 1 cup
- Heat the oil over medium flame in a large, non-stick wok, kadhai or saute pan with a tight fitting lid. When the oil is shimmering, add the cuminseed and let it sizzle for about 30 seconds. Add the green chilies, ginger and bay or curry leaves and saute for another 2 or 3 minutes. Finally, stir in the coriander, red pepper powder and turmeric and continue to saute for another minute or so.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and stir to coat them with the spices. Cover tightly with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower, water and salt, cover again with the lid and cook for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked through but not falling apart.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro, adjust seasoning and serve with Indian bread.
Aloo Gobi Variations
- After you saute the spices, you can add 1 minced onion and 3 or 4 cloves of minced garlic and saute for another 5 to 7 minutes. Then stir in the potatoes and continue with the recipe.
- The potatoes can be peeled or left unpeeled.
- Add 1 cup chopped or crushed tomato along with the cauliflower.
- Other spices and seasonings:
- Add a pinch of hing (asafoetida) powder with the cuminseed.
- Add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds with the cuminseed.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of garam masala, 2 teaspoons of amchoor (mango powder) or a squeeze of lemon juice with the cilantro.