(Canadian fried potatoes with gravy and cheese curds)
Poutine's popularity has spread throughout Canada since the dish first appeared in the 1950s.
2 to 3 servings
- French fries, cooked and hot -- 1 1/2 pounds
- Cheddar cheese curds, broken into chunks -- 2 cups
- Beef gravy, hot -- 2 cups
- Place the hot French fries in a large bowl or individual serving bowls. Sprinkle over the cheese curds, then pour over a liberal amount of the hot beef gravy. Serve with a fork.
- Fresh cheddar cheese curds are widely available in Canada and the Upper Midwest of the United States, but they may be harder to find elsewhere. Substitute small chunks of mozzarella if you must.
- Italian Poutine: Substitute marinara sauce for the beef gravy.