(Thai fish cakes)
4 to 5 servings
- Fish fillets, catfish or other white fish, skinless and boneless -- 1 pound
- Red curry paste -- 1 tablespoon
- Egg, beaten -- 1
- Fish sauce -- 1 tablespoon
- Oil - 1/4 cup
- Add all the ingredients except the oil to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Heat the oil over medium-high flame until it shimmers. Drop spoonfuls of the fish paste into the hot oil and flatten into patties. Fry until browned, then flip and brown on the second side. Remove the patties to a plate lined with paper towels and hold warm while you repeat with the remaining fish puree.
- Serve hot as an appetizer with acar ketimun cucumber pickle.
Tod Mun Variations
- Tod Mun Kung: Substitute peeled, deveined shrimp for half the fish.
- For more flavor and texture, any or all of the following can be stirred into the fish paste after it is pureed: 1 tablespoon minced galangal; 3 to 5 shredded kaffir lime leaves; 5 or 6 cooked green beans.