Dulce de Leche
(Latin American caramel spread)
Dulce de leche, is a sweet caramel spread popular throughout Latin America and used as a spread for bread, pastries, cakes, crepes and cookies like Argentinian alfajores cookies.
It is known as cajeta in Mexico, manjar blanco in Peru, Chile and Bolivia, and arequipe in Colombia.
About 3 cups
- Whole milk -- 4 cups
- Sugar -- 1 1/4 cups
- Vanilla -- 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Add all the ingredients to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir well to dissolve the sugar completely.
- Set the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened and caramelized, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer to a clean glass jar and refrigerate. Will keep for 1 to 2 weeks.
Dulce de Leche Variations
- Goat's milk is used in Peru and Mexico.