(Russian cold vegetable salad)
4 to 6 servings
- Beets, diced and cooked -- 2 cups
- Potatoes, diced and cooked -- 2 cups
- Carrots, diced and cooked -- 2 cups
- Peas, cooked -- 1 cup
- Dill pickles, diced -- 2 or 3
- Onion, diced -- 1/2
- Scallions, chopped -- 3 or 4
- Fresh dill, chopped -- 1/4 cup
- Red wine vinegar -- 1/4 cup
- Dijon mustard -- 1 teaspoon
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Sunflower or vegetable oil -- 1/2 cup
- In a large, non-reactive bowl, mix together the beets, potatoes, carrots, peas, pickles, onion, scallions and dill.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk the oil slowly into the vinegar mix to lightly emulsify it.
- Stir the vinaigrette into the vegetables, adjust seasoning and serve well chilled.