(Mexican melted cheese appetizer)
Queso fundido is as simple as it is decadently tasty. Flavorful cheese is melted together with fragrant mushrooms, roasted peppers or other garnishes and served with fresh corn tortillas.
Serve this south-of-the-border version of cheese fondue as a starter to any Mexican meal. Your guests will be singing your praises. ¡Que rico!
4 to 6 servings
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded -- 2 cups
- Roasted red pepper, cut into strips -- 1
- Mushrooms, sliced thinly -- 1 cup
- Butter -- 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Corn or flour tortillas, warmed, or tortilla chips -- for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread the grated cheese evenly over the bottom of a ceramic ovenproof dish, or cazuela. Spread the roasted red pepper evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Heat the butter in a skillet or saute pan over medium flame. Add the mushrooms and saute until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and spread evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake until the cheese is fully melted, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the tortillas or tortilla chips for scooping.
Queso Fundido Variations
- Mozzarella or any Mexican melting cheese, such as asadero or Chihuahua, can be used instead of Monterey Jack.
- Experiment with different toppings: chopped scallions, crumbled queso fresco, cooked chorizo, chopped serrano chilies.