Socca Niçoise au Four
(French Provencal chickpea bread)
3 to 4 servings
- Chickpea flour -- 1 cup
- Water -- 1 to 1 1/2 cups
- Olive oil -- 4 tablespoons
- Salt -- 1 teaspoon
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place a large cast-iron skillet or pizza pan in the oven to get it hot.
- Whisk together the chickpea flour, water, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and salt. The batter should be smooth and have the consistency of heavy cream. Set aside to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the bottom of the skillet or pizza pan and wipe it around with a paper towel to coat the bottom evenly. Pour about 1/8-inch of the the batter into the pan and turn to spread the batter evenly over the bottom.
- Place in the hot oven and bake until the top is nicely browned and charred in a few places, about 10 minutes. Removed to a cutting board and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut into squares or wedges, sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and serve immediately with a glass of chilled rosé wine.
Socca Niçoise Variations
- A cast-iron skillet or pizza pan works nicely, but you can try using a regular baking pan instead.
- Stir some thinly sliced onions or a little fresh rosemary or thyme leaves into the batter.