(American cinnamon-scented sugar cookies)
About 2 dozen cookies
- Flour -- 2 cups
- Cream of tartar -- 2 teaspoons
- Baking soda -- 1 teaspoon
- Salt -- 1/4 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter, cut into chunks, room temperature -- 1/2 pound, or 2 sticks
- Sugar -- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/4 cup
- Eggs -- 2
- Cinnamon -- 4 teaspoons
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and cream together on medium speed until the butter is light and fluffy and the sugar is well incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the egg, beating until it is incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and mix in the dry ingredients with a spatula until well blended. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Mix together the 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Form walnut-sized balls out of the cookie dough and roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar. Place the balls on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, spaced about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, turning the pan once for even baking. Cool 5 to 10 minutes on the pan, and then remove to a rack and cool completely.
- Stir chopped walnuts, chopped pecans or raisins into the dough if you like.