(Indian sweet chickpea flour balls)
Makes about 12 balls
- Ghee or oil -- 1 cup
- Chickpea flour (besan) -- 3 cups
- Sugar -- 1 1/2 cups
- Cardamom, ground -- 1 teaspoon
- Heat the ghee or oil in a saute pan over medium-low flame. Stir in the chickpea flour and cook it slowly, stirring until the flour begins to take on a brownish-red color, about 15 to 20 minutes. Be careful not to burn it.
- Remove the cooked flour from the heat and stir in the sugar and cardamom to form a thick dough. Remove from heat and set aside to cool down a little.
- Using lightly greased hands, form into the dough into balls about the size of a large walnut. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Besan Laddu Variations
- Stir in 1/2 cup chopped almonds, cashews or raisins when you add the sugar.