(American white sauce with sausage)
4 to 6 servings
- Oil or butter -- 2 tablespoons
- Onion, finely chopped -- 1
- Breakfast sausage -- 1 pound
- Flour -- 1/4 cup
- Milk -- 3 1/2 cups
- Fresh or dried sage, chopped or crumbled -- 1 tablespoon (fresh) or 1 teaspoon (dried)
- Parsley (optional), finely chopped -- 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Tabasco or other bottled hot pepper sauce (optional) -- a few good dashes
- Heat oil or butter in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage and saute until cooked through, breaking it up with spatula as it cooks.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir in well to get rid of any lumps. Stirring constantly, cook the flour for a couple of minutes over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the milk until smooth, and then add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and add a few dashes of hot pepper sauce if you like. Serve over buttermilk biscuits or toast.